NFS Fire Lookout Towers
Cabin Rentals in California National Forests
Ready to see wide and wild terrain? Views for 100 miles out and the best scenery California has to offer. Be prepared to off road or hike to reach one of these destinations.
Below is a list of historic look out towers & cabins used for spotting wildfires. Some are located on steep granite peaks, ridge lines or dirt roads. 4×4 may be recommended to reach a few. Road conditions can change w/ harsh mountain weather, so be prepared to rough it. Thunderstorms are common on these mountain ridges.
Several of these places are cabins, some are stone houses, but most fire lookouts are basic metal towers – with high climbing staircases, so you must be in decent physical strength to haul your ass up this high.
Cabins are also called guard stations, huts, bunkhouses. Most are located on mountain tops, but a few exist in desert regions. Some are refurbished & available for overnight rentals. Bare bones furnishings, so forget the frills. People come up here for the thrills. To be outside w/ epic views, way away from the urban grind & to feel on top-of-the-world.
See the full list of overnight accommodations on mountain peaks & ridges, some near meadows @ National Forest Cabin Rentals
El Dorado National Forest:
Cuyama Lookout is a rough road up. Off Hwy 33, in Los Padres NF
Los Padres National Forest:
- Cuyama Peak Lookout Tower (pictured above) off Hwy 166 & via Santa Barbara Cyn, 4×4 recommended. Sorta near jct w/ Hwy 33
San Bernardino National Forest:
- Morton Peak Fire Lookout near Forest Falls, CA
- Coon Creek Cabin Heart Bar Rd# 1N02 near Angeles Oaks, CA
Sequoia National Forest:
- Big Meadows Guard Station 7600′ elevation; prime location in between Sequoia NP & Kings Canyon NP
- Mtn Home Guard Station Cabin 6000′ elev. in Mountain Home SF near Springville, CA
- Poso Guard Station Cabin Rental open all year round 4500′ elev. near Kernville, CA
- Quaking Aspen Cabin Rental inside Giant Sequoia NM; 7000′ elev. near Ponderosa, CA Western Divide Hwy
- Wishon Cabin Rental open all year round, 4000′ elev. near Camp Nelson, CA Western Divide Hwy
- Bald Mountain Lookout, just off Sherman’s Pass Road, 4×4 may be needed. In between the Kern Plateau & Kern River
Sierra National Forest:
California is the land of wildfires!
Always check for local fire conditions at nearest ranger station, obtain a free campfire permit when camping outside of developed campgrounds, and always practice fire safety when visiting our public lands. You can be held liable for wildfires. Outta control campfire, cigarettes, idling vehicles on tall, dry grass. Be very cautious with fires on the often dry, west coast.